Experiential Professional Learning
Retooling teaching for the ‘new normal’
Do you feel ready to engage students and meet their social and emotional needs in the online and blended learning environment we’re facing now? That’s hard enough to do face-to-face in normal times. The iSchool Professional Development uses research-based SEL (Social and Emotional Learning) strategies to create a learning environment that helps your students adapt to the present and prepares them for the future.
Today, more than ever, we understand the importance of empathy and resilience, building authentic relationships and feeling connected while social distancing and coming together to strengthen our classrooms, schools, and our communities.
Practical research-based Social Emotional Learning (SEL) strategies offer educators a powerful way to support their students and one another during these times. How can we as teachers leverage the power of SEL as we prepare to reopen and renew our school communities?
Leading with SEL in all our STEAM-based programs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math), iSchool embraced the online move since the onset of the quarantine in March. And we are so pleased to say that IT IS possible to recreate the high touch engaging hands-on learning experience in the online environment. It is encouraging to see the spark in our students eyes and hear the excitement in their voices that come from the hands-on learning and exploration, real-life engagement with their peers and motivating teachers who inspire and challenge students to aim high, take chances and make mistakes.
With the support of the Battelle Memorial Institute, we designed a Professional Development workshop to give educators the practical tools and techniques to create supportive online / blended learning environments where all students can enhance their social and emotional competencies, grow academically, feel a sense of belonging, and thrive.
Maximizing Students Success through SEL (Social Emotional Learning) and STEM Integration in Online and Blended Environments
When: August 22, 2020, Saturday, 10:30am – 1:30pm
Where: Zoom meeting and Google Classroom access links will be emailed once you register
Our STEAM SEL™ approach helps your students build a more meaningful, emotional connection to the learning process, one that focuses on fueling passions and inciting curiosity that continues to develop over a lifetime. Students learn how to learn and feel motivated to keep learning, experiment and persevere.
A limited number of FREE spots are available for this workshop and the registrations are accepted on the first come basis. Priority is given to educators working with students from disadvantaged communities.
This workshop answers these essential questions:
- How can teachers enhance their understanding of the SEL competencies?
- How can the intentional integration of SEL and STEM (and other academic areas) enhance the learning environment for all students?
- What are the specific online and face-to-face classroom strategies that will support teachers with intentional SEL integration?
Through immersive hands-on learning experience, educators will:
- Explore the importance of SEL and STEM Integration through research-based findings, interactive activities, and specific classroom strategies. We’ll share examples of what that looks like in action – both in a physical and an online classroom.
- Experience a hands-on online STEM lesson with SEL integrated features. You’ll participate in a teacher-led class, as a student, and understand what your students would feel and learn. We’ll unpack and reflect on your experience as a group.
- Conduct a Lesson Plan Makeover by revising a STEM lesson plan – working in small teams, apply everything you learn earlier to your own lesson plan and receive feedback from your fellow educators. First 10 teachers who implement the updated lesson plan with students in the classroom and submit a reflection of your experience along with pictures of the students work – will receive a $50 gift card that can be used as a stipend for materials and supplies and as our Thank You gift.
Be Part of The Change
You became an educator for a reason. Are you ready to be the change you envision? Get the proven tools that will help you get there. Secure your spot now and share with a fellow educator, while the seats are available. Feel free to reach out to us with questions at email@example.com.